Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Waken By the Sound of the Wind


It is hard to think of anything but the sound of the wind as it is 4:30 am it is a cold night/morning. I can’t sleep so I got up to read and here I am updating my blog. The sound of the wind so loud it sounds like I am in one of those scary movies.

Things are good at our end. The girls are getting into a new stage where they seem to know what they are doing and what is going on with school. They are calling their friends less and less to ask about homework or other school related questions. It is defiantly a new stage yet it has its own challenges. They can understand and feel like they should be able to speak but they are not there yet. They are doing well in Tennis and enjoying it. They will be starting Basketball this weekend.

This week was such an interesting week. We had and amazing privilege which is being at the holy land to celebrate the twin birthdays of the Bab and Baha’u’llah. The program was amazing for both events. The celebration of Baha’u’llah’s birthday was our first Holiday in Bahji. We had a wonderful time. Our perspective on life and the important of service becoming more clear everyday. A lot to be thankful for and we have much more to learn and to give. While there is this part of us that we left behind it feels like unfinished business which is one of the most uncomfortable feeling. Weeks like this makes it harder to be away. We just found out that Naim’s grandmother is not feeling well and is going into the hospital for surgery and his father is not feel well also and just finished having a surgery. At the same time the kids can’t stop talking about missing all their cousins’ birthdays as it was Bahram’s 9th birthday and we called to wish him a happy birthday and the girls kept saying you know we really should be there. It feels like a part of us is missing by having the people we love are so far away. Especially in nights like this it feels so when I can't go sleep and the strange sound of the wind does not help. I got up and put on a music CD one that a friend gave me few years ago for my birthday and it made things worst and made me more home sick.

To change the subject, I am not sure what made me think of this but you know one thing amazes me here is how in many ways things are almost crazy when you think of driving and parking in this city and people stop at the middle of the road to drop someone or if they see someone and want to talk and they just expect you to understand and wait patiently behind them or hunk and they know very well how to ignore you until they finish or you find a way to go around them without killing yourself. What is amazing is these same people would not cross the street if the walking light is red. You can look both sides and there are no cars yet you find everyone standing at the edge of the street to cross the road then when the light changes to green they don’t even look they just start walking. It is almost like a robotic movement. There are so much contrasts in thing in here I have never seen anywhere else. Another example is the beauty of nature in this city is amazing, yet there are some area you drive by you can hardly breath from the smell of the factories, the level of contamination in some areas are hard to believe. The Arab and the Jewish neighborhoods are so different. Yet at the end of the day or early in the morning you still can count on watching the most beautiful, breath taking sunrise and sunset. Speaking of sunrise, I better get some sleep before the sunrises and my two angels wake up. Hope you find happiness, love and peace in all you do.

The pictures in this postes are for Yasmeen in tennis class. Every Sunday and Wednesday when the girls have their class I set on the mountain side looking into the ocean watching an amazing sunset. It is really a wonderful way to end my day.

5 Comments:

At Wednesday, January 24, 2007 at 10:05:00 PM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I loVED the sunrises and sunsets there in winter!!!
Is nadia also still playing??
Looks like fun..the girls and Naim can train me one day;)

love ya

 
At Thursday, January 25, 2007 at 7:15:00 AM PST, Blogger Nesreen Akhtarkhavari said...

Hi May,

Remember:

سقف بيتي حديد ركن بيني حجر، فاقصفي يا رياح وانهمر يا مطر

When it rains and storms, I remember mom, and feel secure. Please be happy and think how much you and your family are loved by all of us.

It is not easy to be away, but in the long run, this experience will make you even stronger. I also hated that feeling of being away, and far from everyone when we lived overseas, but the love that my mom and you (sisters and brother) showered me with, and the wonderful memory of our dad, made it possible for me to continue for 12 years. Please do not make yours that long!

The beautiful thing about being in a place with distinct seasons is that you will experience Spring. The difference is striking and the watching things grow all over place is amazing.

Please, always remember that we love you and the girls and Naim very much.

Note: Since our trip, Daniel asks for and eats avocadoes!

Nesreen

 
At Friday, January 26, 2007 at 8:18:00 AM PST, Blogger May & Naim said...

Ba, Yes Nadia is still playing it is just that day I was hanging out more at Yasmeen's court as they are with different group and she had the better view ;). They both are enjoying it. We just meet a girl that served with you and now she is back after couple of years to serve in another department I think he name is Sara. I will check with the kids they would know.

Love
May


Nesreen, I also sing that song to the kids and remember my mom. It is amazing now that they actual understand these songs and we can enjoy them together. Thank you for the call I will wait an hour until your doctor visit and say the healing prayers for you. I hope everything goes well. Five years is long enough for us. We just got a bunch of Avocado from the Redvan Garden and thought of you guys.

My love to all.
May

 
At Saturday, January 27, 2007 at 5:07:00 AM PST, Blogger Bahia said...

Hey Yasmeen, thanks for the comment and you look so great (as usual) in action! (playing tennis i mean) well, sorry about missing that event going on at your place, and thanks for coming over and seeing rocket, come more often, promise? Love you!!!

- Bahia

P.S say hi to your family

 
At Monday, January 29, 2007 at 11:34:00 PM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey May,
Hope you feel better. We miss you guys too. I was just checking your blog before I go to bed. Love you guys.
-Badi

 

Post a Comment

<< Home